Better sleep is literally the most important self-care decision you’ll make this year. Here’s the problem: it’s so expensive. Mattresses, pillows, sheets, and bed frames all add up fast, creating a huge dent in your wallet, leading to more sleepless nights wondering how you’ll pay for it all.
Luckily, the price of a good mattress has never been cheaper. Unluckily, the market is flooded with cheap mattresses, some of them great, some – uh – not so great. So what do you do when you want to find the best cheap mattress? You’re doing it right now! Here’s our guide to the best mattress that lets you sleep for cheap.
What to Look for in a Budget Mattress
Comfort, support, and longevity. Repeat these to yourself. Find a mattress that masters those qualities and you’ve found the best affordable mattress. Simple? Yup. Easy to find? Nope. So how do we start our research? Just like a supreme athlete (which we definitely are NOT), we focus up and listen to our bodies. Here’s how to find the best cheap mattress.
- Know what you’re looking for before you start. Think about these questions: What position do you sleep in? What level of firmness do you prefer? How big a bed do you need? Answering these questions before you start searching will help you narrow your search and give some good parameters when looking at reviews.
- It’s a good idea to take advantage of the try-before-you-buy policy that comes standard with most mattresses these days. Many offer extended trial periods of a month or more that will clue you into how you’ll sleep in that particular bed. This is important because it can take up to a week before a bed breaks itself in. Sort of like a baseball glove, but bigger and way more fun at night.
- Listen to your body the morning after. Duh, right? Your body is going to give you the most accurate review of a mattress the night after you sleep on it. Do you feel any problem areas? Is your arm asleep in the morning? Do you wake up to aches and pains? Still feel tired? These aren’t normal, so if you’re feeling them right away on a new mattress it’s a sure sign you have the wrong one. On the other hand, if you have a mattress that makes you feel like a kid again, it’s time to stop your search. Congrats, you just found the best cheap mattress.
1. Best Memory Foam Budget Choice: Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 10”
2. Best Innerspring Budget Choice: Classic Brand’s Innerspring Pillow Top
3. Mid-Range Best Choice: Tuft & Needle Adaptive Foam (standard)
Buying Guide for the Best Cheap Mattress
Risks of Buying a Cheaper Mattress: Don’t Skimp Just for the Deal
How Cheap is Cheap? The Budget Buyer Options Broken Down by Price
Does Size Matter? In a Word: Yes
Size matters for the cost of a bed. Buying a queen is going to cost more than a twin. That’s simple math. Here’s the thing: bigger isn’t always better! Measure your room, then make sure to pay attention to how big the mattress’ dimensions are on their website. You can get a better idea of the size you’ll need for the space you have. Sure, most companies adhere to the same mattress measurement, but knowing this exact amount will make deciding on size easier — and you’ll be able to budget accordingly.